Monday, December 12, 2011

Dream Episode - Do not take the shortcut

Day of dream: last night

Scene 1:
It was a simple room, with a small simple desk in the middle. The desk was crowded with the lawyer, the bride, the groom, a parent (possibly father) of the bride, and a few other people. The groom's strong built (reminds me of Alec) fits him nicely into his tux. They were signing the papers. It was certain that there was attraction between the bride and the groom, but somehow it felt more like a business deal than a blissful union of two people.

The groom bought an expensive watch for the bride. It costs $5300++, about the cost of an estate (it was a long time ago, when money was worth much more than it does now). It came with a certificate of authenticity. It was then that someone (possibly the father of the bride) mentioned that the company that made the watch is in troubled waters. Upon hearing that, the groom read the certificate closely. It stated that their watches are top-notch quality, but any watches that are purchased after a certain date is not worth much. Since the groom purchased the watch after that date...

The lost of value of the watch did not bother the party for long. The party continued with its merriment. The groom (easily) lifted the bride and carried her around...


Scene 2:
I was outside a bar, looking in. A group of friends was celebrating someone's birthday. I went inside. The bar was plain, with concrete walls and floor. It looked as if a basement emerged from underground, invited a few people in, and called itself a bar. The birthday boy was standing against the farthest wall, facing all his friends. I knew the him: Cody. We would meet later, and we would fall in love.

I stood to the side between him and his friends. I stared at him, taking in his youth, his smile, and his every word. It was weird to see your love before he knew you. So blissfully weird. They raised their glasses and I raised mine, he turned and looked at me. I smiled. When we meet later, he would know me and I would not know him. He would say that he recognized my smile, and I would have no idea what he was talking about.

The party was over and everyone left. I left too. I needed to take a bus from Main street, but I don't know which direction to go. I turned right. After a few blocks, it did not seem right. I turned around and returned to the bar, stood around trying to figure out my way before giving in to ask for directions. Turned out I was walking in the opposite direction.


Scene 3:
Marriage with Cody was a wreck. We were in love, but something was wrong. He was dying...

I knew I shouldn't have interfered with the past. I shouldn't have visited him in the bar in the past. I shouldn't have let him recognize me. We fell in love faster. We took the shortcut. Now our time together was cut short as well.

I retraced my steps. I started with what I should not have done. I should not have talked to Cody. Standing in front of him, I will myself to not have done what I did in that past. With every will, I was moved backwards, and my footsteps on the carpet faded to undo my deeds.

He would not recognize my smile later in his life...


Scene 4:
At the marriage desk, the groom was sitting across from me. We were about to sign the papers at the witness of the lawyer, who is sitting at the head of the desk, and the best-man, who is sitting next to the groom. I took the pen, before I signed it, I looked up and saw that the best-man was Cody. Then I knew... And I signed the papers to marry my groom.

I knew that this marriage would fail. And when it does, Cody will be there for me. This was the way we were suppose to meet and fell in love. This was the correct way to begin our journey together.


Notes: I recently read the Time Traveler's Wife.

No comments: