Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dream Episode - Mind Gobblers

Day of dream - a long time ago

It seemed like a Doctor Who setting. While the Doctor was busy exploring something else somewhere else, I was walking down the sidewalk alone. It was a broad sidewalk, with buildings to my left. A lamp post would pass by periodically to my left, and occasionally, there would be a bench. These benches were curious, for they are barred off with a chain, regardless of it being occupied.

When I was passing by this one bench, two young children at the bench, a boy and a girl, invited me to join them behind the chains. Although they were moving around a lot, they seemed harmless enough. I nodded, and took a step toward them. They lifted the chain to let me in. Once I was behind the chains, they started climbing on me. Everything happened so quickly that I did not have time to react. One of them stood on the bench, and attached his/her wide-opened mouth in an attempt to swallow my head. I felt my head getting spacier and lighter.

[something must have happened in between, of which I cannot recall]

No harm was done to me in the previous incident. We learned that they are a species of aliens who feed on people's minds, including their memory and intellect. In other words, these aliens feed on people's lives. The young do so by attaching their mouths to the head to absorb the contents of the mind. Adults can absorb by contact with any part of the body. They can eat off the lives of their species as well. Mind-absorbing is a natural process upon contact, however conscious efforts can counter it. Still, little was known about the mind-gobblers and there were much legends surrounding these creatures.

For some reason, either as a condition in the peace-pack for the mind-gobblers to prove that they can live among humans, or as a spy for the Doctor to observe them, I was sent to live with a family of mind-gobblers for an undefined period of time. The family four members, and a mind-gobbler guardian to make sure I don't run away. consisted of During which, I was in constant unease, feeling that I am the only target in the house should they lose their control. Being in their vicinity made me light-headed. The uncertainty of the end of my term only served to make me nervous with every passing day.

One day, either in the afternoon or the evening, the family gathered and tried embracing. They must have seen it practiced among humans. I turned around from my corner to watch them. It started off slowly awkwardly, as the mind-gobblers have to exercise extreme control to avoid gobbling during contact. The members touched, held for no more than a while, and broke off. The brief experience of the comforts of a human embrace was a exhilarating one for every member. It pleased them to understand love, if it was from a different perspective.

The explosion of emotions affected me, as I was affected when in their vicinity. I felt the desperate need for fresh air. The enclosed space of the house was suffocating. Lightheaded, I rushed out of the house and my body gave way. I laid on my side in the fetal position, with both hands trying to hold my mind together and to prevent anything from seeping away. My guardian rushed to the door, and stared helplessly at me. I asked him/her to not get any closer, for I fear that the mind-gobblers can create a reverse force field that sucks in mind contents without contact.

My head felt spacier and lighter, and I prayed desperately that the Doctor would come and take me away at that instant. Yet despite the raging concern for my life, I felt for the mind-gobblers. They wanted so much to love and to touch, but it is so difficult for them because of what they are...

No comments: